Long Term Travel While Taking Prescription Medication

Davro12345

I have a simple question. I want to take some time out to do some long term travelling over a few years. However, I currently take two sets of medication for anxiety: sertraline and propranolol. Is it possible to acquire medications like these while in a foreign country? If so how? What preparations would I need to make to ensure I can take my medication?

Learn all the information available online about getting these medications through border control. It depends on where you go, but I would better have all the necessary meds with me and not rely on the local pharmacies

It depends on the country and the local regulations. You can look up the medications on the local pharmacies' websites and even contact customer support to find out whether you need a prescription or you can just buy them over the counter. Keep in mind that the same medication can have different names in different countries.
It's not safe to take psychotropic medications through border control. I don't know the exact rules, but I personally would not risk it.
For instance, I have to take anticonvulsant medications for seizures. When I was traveling, I had to ask a local guy to buy them for me. He somehow got a prescription and bought it for me in Mexico. But I'm afraid it won't work in any country.

Last edited:
Long-term travel while taking prescription medication requires careful planning to ensure uninterrupted access to necessary medications. Prior to departure, consult with your healthcare provider to obtain an adequate supply of medication for the duration of your trip and obtain any necessary prescriptions or medical documentation. Research local regulations regarding the importation of prescription medications in the countries you'll be visiting and ensure you have the appropriate paperwork if needed. Additionally, consider packing medications in their original containers with clearly labeled dosages to facilitate customs clearance. It's also wise to carry a copy of your prescriptions and medical history in case of emergencies. Finally, be mindful of time zone changes and adjust medication schedules accordingly while traveling across different time zones.

Back