Food in Hanoi, Vietnam - which is the best?

Duc Pham

You may wonder how many dishes you can taste in the wonderland of foods. For over 1000 years building and developing, Hanoi enlarges not only the scale, status in asserting itself, but also the diversity of elite cuisine. Here are some must-try dishes when you're in Hanoi.

1. Pho Hanoi
Maybe a lot of people have heard about this appealing "pho" so I think I don't need to talk about it anymore. What I want to mention is where you should taste this delightsome bowl of "pho". The most famous stores are 'pho Suong" on Dinh Liet street, pho Thin on Lo Duc street and pho Bat Dan on Bat Dan street. Don't miss "rolled pho" on Ngu Xa street too

2. Banh duc
On Le Ngoc Han street, there is a heirloom banh duc store with over 30 years experience making this delicious dish. Banh duc is hot, with minced meat, fungus, crispy fried tofu and many distinctive sauces, making a luscious, savoury taste you will remember for a long time.

3. Bun thang
On Cau Go street (right next to Hoan Kiem lake), a bun thang store is on the corner, a little modest compared to the most crowded, noisy area in Hanoi. But the reputation of this store seems not modest at all, when locals usually get there to enjoy traditional flavor of Hanoi. Making bun thang may be more complicated, requiring the cook to be more minutely subtle in choosing appropriate materials, to increase and mingle into each other to be a perfect harmonious savoury.

4. Rolled Pho in Ngu Xa street: a type of Pho but not a big bowl. It's rolled like a spring roll. Quite delicious.

5. Pork podridge in Ngo Huyen (near St. Joseph's Cathedral): very famous for locals because of its taste.

6. Com (green rice): specialty representing the taste of Hanoi romantic autumn

7, La Vong grilled fish: I haven't tasted but many reviews say it's yummy.

8. Nem chua nuong at 10 Au Trieu street, nem lui on Phan Huy Ich street,

There are still more such as: bun cha, Trang tien ice cream, com (green rice), xoi (sticky rice), .... I'm not sure which is the best. You may want to experience by yourself!

Hope you have time to visit Hanoi to taste all these delicious food!

I have never visited Vietnam but tasted some of them at the Vietnamese restaurants in Sri Lanka which were surprisingly awesome. Among the tasted, Pho and Cha Ca were my best addictions.

There is no "best" food. I've been here for a few times, and each time I tried a new food, they all become "best". Difference is only in the places that you went to. Most of the places around the old town are all great, you can simply go yourself to explore. Food tours are great too, I use to take one using AN Tours Vietnam. There they bring me to a lot of food, but the noodles one was freaking impressive (Bung Boa or Bunn Bo or something I can't remember).

AN Tours Vietnam - bun bo.jpg

Last edited:
Back